Who Says Life Is Fair?

Like most grandparents love telling their stories, she started narrating hers. "I started working at age of seven, by helping my mom who was a house maid. Later I got married at fifteen. And as is the case in many low income households, my husband was a drunkard and died because of it. As such I had to take my own and my son’s responsibility. I lost my young 25 yr old son in a train accident. As such, I have to earn my living." She begins her day at 4:00 am, with filling water. Water supply in the city is restricted to some 1-2 hours especially in slums and chawls and the water timings are usually this weird. She and her sister then have tea with 2 biscuits, which is along with a banana at night is their only meal for the whole day. Her sister earns her living by doing some household work. At her age no one would offer her that work. She works in small scale packaging firm. Although the firm manager does not give her any work, he pays her the wages for the efforts she takes to reach there every day. Alas! I thought, there are few good people around. I got back to reading my book again. But the thought of her, lingered in my mind for long. I could sense there was some silence around. No not out of pity. Why should anyone pity her, when she herself didn’t? Possibly it was out of self introspection that everyone was doing, just like me. Here I was complaining and whining about small things in life. How mean I am I felt. I felt my insides churn. Poverty, grief, struggle neither could bring down this lady’s self respect. At her age she could have easily taken up to begging, asking for help and donations. But she still prefers to earn her living. She has the willingness and courage to face the world, start life all new. And even more she never had complaints from life. She taught me how life was full of hope. Very few people can make a difference to your life. She had in some way touched mine. Her smile was a tight slap in face of all those people who cry life is unfair. Who says life is fair? Life was always unfair. It’s up to us to make it fair.